Easter Cookies and Working with Colors

7:57 AM Paulina Noyola 0 Comments

This Easter I really wanted to create cookies for some sweet new friends at church to enjoy. Plus I had a couple of new cookie cutters that I really wanted to try too!

When trying to figure out designs and colors for my cookies, something I find useful is to pick three to four different colors and to let them carry themselves through out all the cookies.
When I first started decorating cookies (not long ago) I used start with a clean bowl for every single color. And even though the colors looked good, once I used them all together in the set of cookies, they seemed a little off. Like they just didn't match. So I thought of something I normally do when doing an oil painting... I don't really clean my brush unless absolutely necessary. 
When mixing my royal icing and preparing the colors, I usually start by mixing my main color, then I use the same bowl (without cleaning all the icing off!) to start mixing a new color. This way, all the colors have a little bit of a similar tint and it really makes a big difference. Now, all the cookies will look like they belong together. 

The amazing moss technique you see in the bunny is all the rave in the cookie world and I just had to try it! Thanks to Mike from SemmiSweet for showing us how to make it. Here is a direct link to his tutorial.



Now this little guy was not part of this set of cookies, but I really wanted to try to make some sort of fur using royal icing. This was my first attempt and I think it looks pretty neat. I might have to perfect the technique a little bit more but I think I'm in the right path, what do you think?




0 comments: