Raspberry Swirl Meringues

12:14 PM Paulina Noyola 1 Comments

Yesterday, I received the wonderful news that I had won the First Prize for the Springtime in Paris Contest by Michael's Stores, a $1,000 Michael's gift card! When I first saw the email I just could not believe it, I had to read it a couple of times and kind of checked to make sure it wasn't a scam LOL
Once I was convinced that what I was reading was real I immediately told my husband and we were both stunned!
The Grand Prize was a trip to Paris with exclusive tours and classes, the First Prize was a Michale's $1,000 gift card and the Second Prize, a $500 gift card.

I am so thankful and happy! From what I read, around 11,000 entries were judge, and there where so many beautiful projects. You can hop over to Michael's Blog to see the other winners.
Here is a link to my post about the cookies I submitted ~ Paris Themed Cookies


And what better way to celebrate than with a sweet treat! For some time now, I have been wanting to experiment with more confections other than just cakes and cookies, and meringue cookies seemed a good way to start. Meringue cookies are absolutely delicious, they are crisp on the outside with a light and fluffy (not chewy!) inside. If you are looking to bake something that doesn't require many ingredients, meringues are perfect for you.


Meringues are basically just beaten egg whites and sugar, cream of tartar is added to stabilize the egg whites and to help them gain volume.

Most recipes call for super fine or caster sugar, but I don't easily find it in my local grocery store, so I decided to follow a recipe which calls for half granulated sugar, half powdered sugar and it turned out great!

INGRDIENTS:
 
2 egg whites (room temperature)
2 tbsp. seedless red raspberry jam (room temperature) 
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
 
DIRECTIONS:

Let egg whites stand, covered, in a large stainless-steel or glass mixing bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. 
Preheat oven to 300 degree F. 
In a small bowl, combine the superfine sugar and sifted powdered sugar; set aside. Uncover eggs and add cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.   

    

Add sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed or until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. The sugar has completely dissolved once you can rub the mixture between your fingers and you feel no sugar granules anymore.  

  

Spoon mounds of the mixture on to the baking sheets, or you can use a pastry bag if you want a more uniform look.  
Drizzle a small amount of jam on the meringue cookies and using a toothpick, swirl the jam. 


  

Place baking sheets in preheated oven. Turn off oven. Let meringues dry in oven, with door closed, for at least 2 hours or until dry and crisp. Let cool on parchment paper. Gently remove meringues. 



Tips:
~ If you can't find seedless jam, don't worry! You can use a mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
~ Keep in mind that the jam swirl will remain a bit sticky, so if you would like to package them, I would recommend to gently fold 1/2 cup of the meringue mixture into the jam; then gently fold jam mixture into the remaining meringue. 
~You can add gel food coloring to give them a stronger color. 

~If you don't have a stand mixer, you can definitely try making it with a hand mixer. I have in the past and it is possible, you will just have to mix for a longer time

You can use this recipe and substitute the rasberry jam for any other ingredient to customize their flavor, like chocolate ganache, any type of fruit jam, caramel sauce, nutella, the options are endless!
Enjoy!!

Recipe adapted from BHG

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, these look so fun and yummy! I've tried coffee meringue cookies before and loved the fluffiness of it. I'll be trying these out when I get tired of macarons. :p

    - Found you on Instagram. Hi!

    ReplyDelete